How to Pick & Eat a Poem
A poetry centered community group
Join us for a 4 session deep dive into the healing, encouragement, and joy that can be found in poetry.
POETRY. Do you find it delightful? Mystifying? Frustrating? Inspiring?
No matter what your feelings toward poetry, or your experience with reading or writing it, you are welcome to join us for this fun exploration using the Seeds of Connection format.
We will spend time connecting to each other, and interacting together with poetry. We'll be reading it, writing it, picking apart some of our favorites and seeing what makes them tick!
This is for you if.....
This group cycle will include:
Want to know when this group
is added to the schedule again?
Be first on the list to be notified when new groups are open for registration. Add your name to the list!
Groups are always opened up first to the waitlist folks and those in the private Facebook group Connection Seekers Virtual Village.
"The poetry is one of my favorite parts of our Seeds of Connection groups. Crystal chooses poems that encourage and sometimes make me think about things in a different way. I never knew I could write poetry until we did in our group, and WOW! I impressed myself! (lol) I really love the poetry."
- Seeds of Connection participant
A few other details and tidbits:
- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE ANY PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE. You don't have to be a writer. You don't have to know "fancy" things about poetry. You just have to be open and curious. Our time together will be appropriate for novice poets & poet lovers and those with more experience reading/writing poetry.
- The live group discussions will NOT be recorded. Due to the personal sharing that happens in our groups, we will not be making a recording available for missed sessions. You do not have to attend every session, but they will build on each other.
- The only supplies you need are your open heart and something to write with and on.
- Group discussions like this work best when we can see each other. Please plan to be on video for the group sessions, if at all possible.
- All aspects of group are consent based and trauma-informed. Each person self-selects their level of participation.
- Got other questions? Send me a message! I love helping people step into an "enthusiastic YES". I want you to have all the info you need.
Groups are currently offered using a tiered pricing structure. The basic ideas behind tiered pricing are community care, equity, and accessibility. If those of us who have access to more financial resources pay a little more, we offer care to our community and we make sure that self-care and healing work is accessible to all.
- Sustainer level: $255.00
- Supporter level: $215.00
- Community Supported level: $145
If any of these levels don't exactly work, there is an option during the registration process to add funds in increments of $10 to your registration level. There are sometimes scholarship funds available for those who may not be able to contribute at these levels. I prioritize scholarships for Black and Indigenous people, as well as transgender folks. If you want to be in a group, I want you there! Please reach out. You can read more of my thoughts about Pay-What-You-Can pricing here.
This fee covers the actual cost of the course. Please select this price if you are able to pay the full cost of the course.
This is the price that feels right for those that can pay the full rate for a Seeds of Connection group while also sustaining their own financial health and wellbeing. It might squeeze a little to pay, but you can do it. You might be someone who has access to stable income, and can typically access self-care opportunities.
This "re-balancing" level of registration contributes a little extra to help make self-care and healing work accessible to all.
If you are someone who is able to pay bills reliably, enjoy a meal out, or easily access self-care (like a pedicure, or therapy co-pays) without anxiety, this price is for you. It balances out some of the extra that you have -- be it from family wealth, a partner who helps support your financial wellbeing, hard work + privilege – to support the people in our community who have less access. It is a chance to leverage some of our privilege to contribute to community care.
Community Supported level
This is a reduced fee to help make the course accessible to members of our community with limited financial resources. This fee does not cover the full cost of the course.
This is the price you can pay if you will benefit, enjoy or grow from a Seeds of Connection group, but paying one of the higher two prices would prevent you from being able justify the cost. This price might also feel right for those who have experienced oppression due to their race or gender, as I prioritize scholarships for Black and Indigenous people, as well as transgender folks. Choose this price (with our love) if you need some community care.
So put a poem upon your lips. Chew its pulp.
Let its juice spill over your tongue.
Let your reading of it teach you
what sort of creature you are
and the nature of the ground you walk upon.
Bring your whole life out loud to this one poem.
Eating one poem can save you, if you're hungry enough.
- excerpt from "On How to Pick & Eat Poems" by Phyllis Cole-Dai